Thursday, May 7, 2009

Karaoke Time and Getting Old

What's so special about karaokeing? To sing a song? Definitely. To ease stress? Might be.Socialization? Yeah it works. So karaoke is best for every one who likes to sing, needs entertainment, and looks for some fun.

I'd be in the socialization category. I go karaoke to enjoy my time with friends whom I consider close enough to let them hear my "beautiful" voice and tease me after that.

And of course, since it's a socialization process, I prefer every one else singing along with me through the song. And I will also sing with anyone holding the microphone when I happen to know the song. The more people sing the song, the more credits I give to the song in terms of "socializing tracks". Anyone who sings a less known song is expected to skip to the next song soon because no one enjoy listening to an unfamiliar song sang not by the original singer.

So for me, karaokeing would be the moment I switch my taste to mainstream music (this is music snob speaking). No Interpol, no Bruce Springsteen (he's not famous in Indonesia), no Jens Lekman, no Wilco, even no Beatles, because none of the people I went karaoke with ever sing Beatles. The only acceptable songs are popular dangdut (I mean like Bang Toyyib or SMS or Jablai, which every one knows), boybands, and some decent pop like Jason Mraz or James Morrison.

That's what I thought. But when I went karaoke about two weeks ago, I realize that not all my theories are true. Yes I had to switch to mainstream (I just found out the newest American Idol is David Cook; the last American Idol I saw was won by Jordin Sparks, and I just realized how beautiful Rihanna is, although I never like her hairstyle), and surely anyone who sings a "snobby" song is forced to change it soon after the second refrain. What amazed me is the songs I considered mainstream apparently are not mainstream at all; most my karaoke mates sang less boyband, dangdut, and James Morrison. The most songs sang are Rihanna's, of which I know is Umbrella only.

I think I'm getting old. No, maybe that's because I went karaoke with friends who are younger than me. Well only one and three years younger. But I don't know most songs they sang; the ones by David Cook, Rihanna, Bow Wow (no longer "Lil", where have I been?). No, it's not me getting old. I'm just getting more snob and watch (M)TV less. What happen to me and MTV? I used to watch it after school and enjoy every program. I knew every new song. Well, maybe I am getting old, as old people like my parents, my older sister and brothers no longer keep up with new artists, albums, and genres. They stick to the music from their era. However, I don't. I also listen to music from decades ago because there are loads of great music back then.

Anyway

Some people don't think snobbism during karaoke a big issue, particularly the ones in the different cateogry. Two of my classmates, both are older than me, said that they hate people singing along with them during karaokeing. "It's my song," one of them told me. "The song is my choice and I don't want other people sing it too." I think these two fall into the karaoke maniacs category. My suspicion was confirmed when one of them told me that he has karaoke at home and his mom stay up until midnight just for karaokeing. Ok, it's in the family.

Or are they just some geezers like me?

I don't mind getting old. And I realize I'm the only one responsible for myself becoming a music snob. All I need to do is changing my karaoke-for-socialization theory. Or should I consider shifting to karaoke maniacs category? I'm a snob, why should I compromise with others' taste? The answer, as usual, is to be pragmatic; depends on the situation, right? :)

4 comments:

  1. Karaoke room is only temporary fun. it's only pending of our dull time. And the real snobbish are they who reflect upon the classical music :D (kok bisa ya bilang Bruce Springsteen tidak dikenal di Indonesia. saya curiga mau merahasiakan "secret garden"-nya biar tidak dicari orang, biar bisa didengar sendiri)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gastronomica: yang jelas bruce springteen gak ada di karaoke, setau saya. lagian, secret garden gak enak dinyanyikan karaoke. cuma bruce yg bisa bawain dengan bagus :)

    ReplyDelete